Nascent Solutions is seeking a Food Security and Nutrition Advisor to provide technical and strategic leadership and contribute to new business development. Under the supervision of the President and CEO, the Food Security and Nutrition Advisor serves as the focal person for food security and nutrition (FSN) programming in the headquarters office, and provides support, oversight, and technical assistance to Nascent’s portfolio of currently implemented projects, leads capture efforts for new FSN programming, and contributes to strategy and process development.
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA Type of Employment: Salaried, full-time Reporting: Directly to President and CEO
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership, strategy, and technical support to the FSN programs and initiatives, and ensure that implementation of FSN programming is in accordance with annual project work-plans;
- Assist in the drafting and development of project work-plans, and provide recommendations for changes to activities and deliverables as necessary;
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to expand new program development in FSN and related technical areas;
- In partnership with the business development team, support proposal development efforts, including technical writing, research, serving on capture teams, and contributing to technical reviews of submissions;
- Assist in the development and management of external relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders, and contribute to the development of strategic partnerships with other organizations to expand Nascent’s reach;
- Provide short term technical assistance in food security and nutrition to Nascent’s portfolio of projects;
- Ensure that FSN-related monitoring and evaluation systems are being utilized as intended, with support from M&E staff, and participate in the design of nutrition assessments, anthropometric surveys, and dietary diversity surveys;
- Work with field staff to influence school feeding and nutrition policies in countries where Nascent works;
- Support capacity building for FSN staff; assess their training needs and design plans to meet those needs;
- Stay informed on best practices and trends in FSN, including priorities, innovations, and best practices being advanced in key regions by Nascent and other donor and implementing organizations, and share developments for incorporation into current and new activities;
- Assist with FSN technical preparation of reports to donors;
- Contribute to the development of client- and partner-facing documents that demonstrate Nascent’s value-add;
- Represent Nascent at conferences, professional association meetings, and other industry events.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in agriculture and rural development, nutrition, public health, or a related field;
- 5+ years of experience in the FSN sector in developing countries, preferably in Sub- Saharan Africa;
- Proficiency in nutrition research methods and anthropometry;
- Demonstrated experience in technical grant writing and business development strategy, with familiarity with USG procurement rules and regulations desirable;
- Knowledge of and network within the US development community, both in the U.S. and in the field;
- Experience in training adults on FSN concepts and monitoring;
- Experience supervising and mentoring home and field office staff of various ability levels;
- Highly self-motivated and autonomous; with the ability to work with little guidance;
- Ability to thrive in an informal, dynamic culture and be comfortable with ambiguity;
- Willingness and ability to undertake a broad range of tasks as is necessary in a small organization;
- Excellent communication skills, written, and oral proficiency in English, with proficiency in French desirable;
- Ability to communicate effectively in cross-cultural situations;
- Superior teamwork ability;
- Ability to travel internationally approximately 15% of the time.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Food Security and Nutrition Advisor” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for applications is November 30, 2018.
We regret that we cannot sponsor US work visas at this time. As such, applicants should already have authorization to work in the US.
Nascent Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.
About Nascent Solutions
Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is a Virginia-based 501(c) (3) non-profit international development organization. Its mission is to enable vulnerable people, especially women and children in rural Africa, to develop skills for self-sufficiency. The organization’s areas of focus are food security and nutrition, health, literacy and skills development, and gender equity.
Nascent offers employees a competitive compensation package, including health insurance, paid vacation, 401(k), and a professional development stipend.